What are auxiliary verbs? The auxiliary verb is a verb which is used as a way of forming the mood, tense and voice of other verbs within a sentence. This is something which is commonly seen in the English language and is essential for anyone looking to create sentences which sound grammatically correct.
In this section, we are going to look at the auxiliary verb in a lot more detail and give you the opportunity to start forming sentences with them that will make you sound much more like a native speaker of the language.
What is an Auxiliary Verb?
An auxiliary verb (or ahelping verb) is averbthat adds functional or grammatical meaning to the clause in which it appears, such as to expresstense, aspect,形态, voice, emphasis, etc. An auxiliary verb is most generally understood as a verb that “helps” another verb by adding grammatical information to it.
Auxiliary Verbs Examples
Certain auxiliaries have contracted forms, such as‘dand‘llforhad/ wouldandwill/ shall.
- Forms of the verbdo(do, does, did)
- Forms of the verbhave
- Forms of the verbwill
Learn the useful list of helping verbs in English with rules, example sentences, video and ESL printable worksheets.
Auxiliary Verbs List
Forms of the verbdo(do, does, did), when used with other verbs to enable the formation of questions, negation, emphasis, etc.
- Simple Present Tense:Hedoesnot play volleyball.
- Simple Past Tense:Hedidnot play volleyball.
- Simple Present Tense:Doeshe play volleyball?
- Simple Past Tense:Didhe play volleyball?
Forms of the verbhave, when used to express perfect aspect.
- Present Perfect Simple Tense:Hehasplayed volleyball.
- Past Perfect Simple Tense:Hehadplayed volleyball.
- Present Perfect Progressive Tense:Hehas被playing volleyball.
- Past Perfect Progressive Tense:Hehad被playing volleyball.
We use this verb for compound tenses and the passive voice. Note that “be” is an irregular verb.
- Thiswasa very interesting experience to them.
When used to express progressive aspect.
- Present Progressive Tense:Heiswatching TV.
- Past Progressive Tense:Hewaswatching TV.
- Present Perfect Progressive:He has被watching TV.
- Past Perfect Progressive:He had被watching TV.
When used to express passive voice.
- Example:A letter willbewritten.
Forms of the verbwill, when used form thefuture tenses.
- Examples:Hewillnot playvolleyball.
Auxiliary Verbs | Infographic
Auxiliaryverbs listin English with example sentences.
Last Updated on February 27, 2023