When looking at the English language, one of the important grammatical elements that you are likely to come across is the independent clause. But what does this mean and how do we use it? In this article, we are going to the at the meaning of this type of clause as well as viewing some examples of how it features within a sentence. Doing this will enable us to get a better understanding ofhow the clause works.
What Is an Independent Clause?
- I enjoy eating in a restaurant.
- I enjoy eating in a restaurantbecause the food is better.
- Waiting for the mail to come is tedious.
- Waiting for the mail to come is tedious尤其是当我有更重要的事情要做。
Examples of Independent Clauses
We are now going to take a look at some examples of how the independent clause can work within a sentence, we will look at this type of clause as a standalone and used with other clauses. The independent clause in each sentence will be highlighted in bold.
- The earth circles around the sun.
- The earth circles around the sunin our solar system.
- The teacher is always late to class.
- The teacher is always late to classbecause he stops for coffee on the way.
- The weather is pleasant in Jamaica.
- The weather is pleasant in Jamaicaunless there is a hurricane.
- It makes sense to do the most difficult jobs first.
- It makes sense to do the most difficult jobs firstso that they are out of the way.
- Skiing is my favourite hobby.
- Skiing is my favourite hobbywhen I am in the mountains.
- The animals are getting ready to hibernate.
- The animals are getting ready to hibernateby storing food.
- The couple decided to get married abroad.
- The couple decided to get married abroadin order to lower the cost of the wedding.
- I like to cycle to stay healthy.
- I like to cycle to stay healthybecause it is a good form of exercise.
- My mother is an English teacher.
- My mother is an English teacherat the local school.
- The renovated town hall looks amazing.
- The renovated town hall looks amazingbecause the workmen took their time to complete theintricatedetails.
- The football team played their best.
- The football team played their bestbut still did not win the game.
- The Himalayas are an incredible mountain range.
- The Himalayas are an incredible mountain range,which features the highest mountain in the world.
- I love to go to the beach.
- I love to go to the beachbut I prefer to go to the countryside.
- There were five of us who went to dinner.
- There were five of us who went to dinnerand we all thought it was terrible.
- Today it is snowing.
- Today it is snowingso the fun run has been cancelled.
Independent Clause Definition | Image
Last Updated on February 2, 2020